Sunday 29 April 2012

A final word

It's been two weeks since my Penny Art Auction project finished and lots of people have been asking me how I'm feeling about it all now that its over.

I felt moved to take this project on so as to let go of all my paintings without having much of a clear idea as to why.  I knew that I felt held back from them in that I haven't found homes for them all and that feeling stayed with me and was present when I was painting something new.  Thoughts around marketing my work and who I am making it for where too much of a presence in my creative process and I've always wanted to stay true to what's inside.

I really enjoyed having the exhibition and the reactions from friends and visitors was overwhelming.  I found that it was enough to see everyone enjoying the paintings in their own way for those few days to justify the whole experience.  After that, I knew that I was ready for my paintings to find homes where I possibly wouldn't see them again.

I've been so thrilled to discover a growing network of artists, art writers, art bloggers and enthusiasts that have really picked up on my idea and supported me.  Even living in a creative city like Brighton, there was such a need for artists to work together to build links and help each other get seen and its really happening now.

When it came to the final evening when the auctions were ending, I was surprised to find that I didn't have any desire to watch the bidding.  During the month leading up to it, I felt convinced that this wasn't about the money but the knew the real test would be in the final moments when everything sold.

I had that strange sensation of being fully present in the moment and appreciating everything that I have to be thankful for.  My brother and sister were with me as well as my husband and daughter and we sat together in the gallery surrounded by my paintings and had a takeaway and I felt so blessed.  It was one of many gifts that this project brought me.

I still have a few of the paintings waiting for collection but they are all wrapped up and in my mind they've already left.  Those who have collected them have been really happy and excited about their paintings.  I feel that they now have something that they wouldn't otherwise have if I had gone the traditional route of using galleries in distant places, which can be more exclusive and less affordable.

So I am happy!  And also happy that I now have the time to focus on my pregnancy and my family and get back into my Small Faces portrait business.

Thank you so much for reading my blog and for all the wonderful support you've given me.  If you would like to  be informed of any of my future exhibitions, please email me at luciannawhittaker@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. Hiya! Awesome blog! I happen to be a daily visitor to your site (somewhat more like addict ) of this website. Just wanted to say I appreciate your blogs and am looking forward for more to come!

    ReplyDelete

Follow @lmwhittaker